A type of tissue that connects 2 or more bones together at their meeting place, is joint (articulation/connection).
Study of joints is called arthrology.
They make the body flexible and also allow the growth of structures they connect.
Three types of joints:-
Types of synovial joints :-
- Ball socket joint :- one bone like a ball that bits into the socket (empty space ) of other bone. Bone can move in all directions.
ex : Humerus & femur have ball like head at one end, which fits in the socket of petoral and pelvic girdle respectively.
- Hinge joint :- This joint allow movement in only one direction. Knee joint, elbow joint, ankle & joint b/w phalanges.
- Gliding joint:- allow sliding movement of 1 bone over another.
ex: b/wwrist & metacarpals.
- Pivot joint:- it allows only a rotatory movement of one bone over another.
ex : upper end of radius and ulna articulate. (move) due to this joint b/w them.
- Saddle joint :- joint is like ball & socket appearance, but ball & sockets are not completely developed.
ex : joint b/w metacarpals & carpals.